ECA 2013 Convention - Call for Papers - Voices of Diversity Interest Group
**Eastern Communication Association - Voices of Diversity Interest Group**
Call for Papers
104th Annual ECA Convention - “Confluence”
Omni William Penn Hotel
April 24-28, 2013
Submission Deadline: October 15, 2012
The Eastern Communication Association’s 104th Annual Convention will be held at the Omni William Penn Hotel located in downtown Pittsburgh, April 24-28, 2013. “Confluence” is the convention theme. Downtown Pittsburgh itself emerged where the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers forms the Ohio River. “Confluence” is exemplified by the long tradition of communication research bringing together ideas from various perspectives of communicator, message, channel, and context to better understand how humans create meaning and relationships. “Confluence” also describes the best in our interdisciplinary scholarship.
The Voices of Diversity Interest Group is seeking panels and completed papers that illustrate the wide breadth of “confluence” possible within our area. We interpret “diversity” broadly, and accept qualitative, quantitative, critical and rhetorical panels and papers. Intersectionality – methodologically, topically and/or by populations of focus – is of particular concern. Papers and panels will be reviewed and scored through a peer review process (all papers will be anonymized). We also welcome proposals that highlight strategies on teaching diversity. Ideas related to diversity, but not specifically addressing the conference theme, are also encouraged.
Submissions of Completed Papers Should Include:
1. A detachable title page with the title of the paper and the author’s affiliation, mailing address, telephone number, and email address
2. The word “Debut” marked on all papers written by authors who have not presented previously at a regional or national convention
3. A one-page abstract on the second page
4. A statement of professional responsibility (see below) on the second page
Program/Panel Proposals Should Include:
1. A thematic title for the program
2. Names of the chair and respondents, if any. Please do not have chairs act as respondents.
3. Names, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, and institutional affiliations of all participants. We strongly recommend participants from different institutions.
4. Titles and abstracts for each paper or presentation
5. A program copy (NO MORE than a 75-word description) as it should appear in the final program
6. A detailed rationale for the program/panel
7. A statement of professional responsibility (see below)
The deadline for receiving submissions is October 15, 2012.
Submissions should be e-mailed to:
Dr. Andrew R. Spieldenner
Program Planner / ECA Voices of Diversity Interest Group
Department of Speech Communication, Rhetoric & Performance Studies
Please note that technology is very expensive and will only be provided if necessary. If you are interested in requesting technology, please read the ECA Technology Policy.
STATEMENT OF PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITY
When submitting a paper or panel for review, the following statement MUST be included. If it is not attached with a submitted document, the chair is responsible for obtaining a completed copy of this form prior to the paper/panel being officially programmed for presentation at the convention.
In submitting the attached paper or proposal, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this panel or paper if it is accepted and programmed. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at ECA’s annual meeting must register and pay required fees.
**If the paper is multi-authored paper, please indicate who will be presenting at the convention**
Close | Printer Friendly Page