ECA - 2013 Convention - Call for Submissions - Short Courses
Call for Short Courses
104th Annual Eastern Communication Association Convention
Omni William Penn Hotel
April 24-28, 2013
Submission Deadline: October 15, 2012
ECA’s invites submissions for short courses to be included in its 2013 annual convention program. The convention will take place at the Omni William Penn Hotel from April 24-28, 2013. As a convention theme, “Confluence” is exemplified by the long tradition of communication research bringing together ideas from various perspectives of communicator, message, channel, and context to better understand how humans create meaning and relationships. Short Course submissions are encouraged to consider how the ideas associated with Confluence provide a context for addressing communication studies using a variety of lenses.
The convention programming includes short courses, poster sessions, roundtables, and panels. Additionally, this convention will host the third Undergraduate Scholars Conference. General information about the call for papers and the convention theme may be found at http://www.ecasite.org/
Short Course Information
- Short courses are 90-minutes in length and run as a part of the regular convention schedule.
- Presenters are required to supply all material for the course.
- The short course should be formatted as a workshop that encourages participant interaction.
- Participants pay a fee to ECA for course participation.
Short Course Submission Guidelines
Completed submissions should include the following:
- Short course title
- Names, institutional affiliations, mailing addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers for all presenters
- A detailed rationale for the short course including the goal (the purpose of the panel) and the outcome (what attendees should know/be able to do at the conclusion of the short course)
- Course description (no more than 100 words) as it should appear in the final program
- Indicate any technology needs (keeping in mind that equipment rental is very expensive) Please read ECA’s technology policy as you consider your technology needs: ECA Technology Policy Reasonable requests for technology support will not be met unless they accompany the proposal submission.
- Professional responsibility statement (please see below)
Submission deadline is October 15, 2012. Please send completed submissions as a file attachment (.docx, .doc, or .rtf formats are acceptable) to Ennis Allen, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “ECA 2013 Short Course Submission” as the subject line.
Professional Responsibility Statement
When submitting a paper or proposal for review, the following statement MUST be included.
“In submitting the attached paper or proposal, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this paper or program/panel if it is accepted and programmed. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at ECA's annual meeting must register and pay the required fees.”
For any additional information regarding the short course call for submissions, please contact:
Ennis N. Allen, M.A.
Prince George’s Communiy College
Communication and Theatre
301 Largo Road
Largo, MD 20772