ECA 2013 Convention - Call for Papers - Argumentation & Forensics Interest Group
104th Annual ECA Convention
Omni William Penn Hotel
April 24-28, 3013
Submission Deadline: October 15, 2012
The Argumentation & Forensics Interest Group of the Eastern Communication Association invites submissions for the 104th Annual Convention, to be held at the Omni William Penn Hotel in downtown Pittsburgh, April 24-28, 2013.
“Confluence” is the convention theme. Downtown Pittsburgh itself emerged where the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers forms the Ohio River. “Confluence” is exemplified by the long tradition of communication research bringing together ideas from various perspectives of communicator, message, channel, and context to better understand how humans create meaning and relationships. “Confluence” also describes the best in our interdisciplinary scholarship and offers the Argumentation & Forensics Interest Group the opportunity to explore many confluences: the confluence of opposing views in public discourse, the confluence of argumentation theory with forensics practice, and the confluence of different subdisciplines of the field. Toward these ends, the Argumentation & Forensics Interest Group welcomes co-sponsorship from other Interest Groups.
With these and other opportunities to expand on the convention theme in mind, please submit individual papers, paper sessions, roundtable discussions and public debates using the guidelines below.
Submissions of Completed Individual Papers Should Include:
- A detachable title page with the title of the paper and the author’s affiliation, mailing address, telephone number, and email address
- The word “Debut” marked on all papers written by authors who have not presented previously at a regional or national convention
- The word “Student” marked on all papers written by authors who have not yet completed their doctoral work
- A one-page abstract on the second page
- A statement of professional responsibility on the second page
Paper Session, Roundtable Discussion and Public Debate Submissions Should Include:
- A thematic title for the program
- Names of the chair and respondents, if any. Where possible, please do not have chairs act as respondents.
- Names, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, and institutional affiliations of all participants
- Titles and abstracts for each paper or presentation, where appropriate
- Program copy of no more than 75 words as it should appear in the final program
- A detailed rationale for the program/panel
- A statement of professional responsibility
The submission deadline is October 15, 2012. Submissions should be sent via email attachment (.doc, .docx or .pdf formats are accepted) to Sean Luechtefeld, Vice Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “ECA 2013 Convention Submission” in the subject line of your email. Should you have questions or need additional information, please email the address above or call 850.559.4055.