ECA 2013 Convention - Call for Papers - Kenneth Burke Interest Group
Call for Papers 2013
KENNETH BURKE INTEREST GROUP
104th Annual Convention Eastern Communication Association
Omni William Penn Hotel
April 24-28, 2013
Submission Deadline: Monday, October 15, 2012
The Kenneth Burke Interest Group invites papers, program proposals, and roundtable discussions for the 104th Annual ECA Convention that will be held from April 24-28, 2013 at the Omni William Penn Hotel in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
The convention theme is one that promises great opportunities for us to participate in meaningful, scholarly dialogue. “Confluence” is the convention theme. Downtown Pittsburgh itself emerged where the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers forms the Ohio River. “Confluence” is exemplified by the long tradition of communication research bringing together ideas from various perspectives on how humans communicate and create meaning and relationships.
For the Kenneth Burke Interest Group there is “confluence” in the fact that ECA is returning to the city of Kenneth Burke’s birth. Burke’s own writing was a “confluence,” bringing together rhetoric, philosophy, literary criticism, psychology, biology, linguistics, and various other disciplines. In the spirit of “KB,” and the conference theme, we encourage this interdisciplinary scholarship in the submission to the interest group.
In addition, please note that the Third Annual James C. McCroskey and Virginia P. Richmond Undergraduate Scholars Conference (USC) will run concurrently with the ECA convention on Friday and Saturday, April 26-27. The deadline for the submission of USC papers is December 19, 2012 so as to allow undergraduate student papers from the Fall semester to be submitted. All such papers should be submitted directly to the USC planner.
General information about the convention and the 2013 Call for Papers can be found at http://associationdatabase.com/aws/ECA/pt/sp/p_Home_Page.
Please include “KB Division ECA Submission” in all email subject headings. All submissions must be sent via e-mail, with attachment(s) in MS Word format, to the 2013 Program Planner:
Dr. Erik Garrett, Duquesne University, firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions of Papers
Submissions of completed papers should include the following:
1. A detachable title page with the title of the paper and the author’s affiliation, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
2. The word “Debut” on the title page if the author has not presented previously at a regional or national convention. The word "Student" marked on all papers written by current undergraduate or graduate students.
3. To assist the program planner with obtaining technology (projectors, screens, etc.), all requests need to be made at the time of submission.
4. The following statement of professional responsibility: “In submitting the attached paper, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this paper if it is accepted. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at ECA's annual meeting must register and pay required fees.”
5. An abstract on the second page.
6. Finally, if the paper is multi-authored, please indicate who will be presenting the paper at the convention.
Submissions of Panel or Round-Table Proposals
Submissions of panel or round-table proposals should include the following:
1. A thematic title for the program.
2. Names of chair and respondents, if any.
3. Names, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, and institutional affiliation of all participants.
4. Title and abstracts for each paper or presentation.
5. A 75 word description of the paper / panel as it should appear in the final program.
6. A detailed rationale for the program/panel.
7. To assist the program planner with obtaining technology (projectors, screens, etc.), all requests need to be made at the time of submission.
8. The following statement of professional responsibility: “In submitting the attached paper, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this paper if it is accepted. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at ECA's annual meeting must register and pay required fees.”
Statement on Technology
For the complete statement about the provision of media technology by the ECA for the conference participants, please see the ECA’s “Statement on Technology.” ECA Technology Policy
Please contact the Kenneth Burke Interest Group Program Planner, via e-mail, for further information.
Please send papers and program proposals by email in a Word attachment by October 15, 2012 to email@example.com . Please note that electronic submission is preferred. Any questions, programming suggestions, and ideas concerning the Kenneth Burke Interest Group are welcome.
Erik A. Garrett
Pittsburgh, PA 15282