ECA 2014 - Philosophy of Communication Interest Group Call for Submissions
Call for Papers: Eastern Communication Association 2014
Philosophy of Communication Interest Group
The 105th Annual ECA Convention theme is Communities of Dissent: A “Lively Experiment” in Dialogue, Diversity, and Discourse. The submission deadline is October 15, 2013. The convention will be held in Providence, Rhode Island at the Omni Providence on April 23-27, 2014.
This year’s theme offers myriad opportunities for scholars to explore the philosophical underpinnings of expression and suppression of dissent across communication contexts—relational, organizational, mediated, social, and political—and the attendant implications for such concerns as relational quality, community identification, civic engagement, public dialogue, accountability, and justice. Dissent can be transformational, a lively experiment in tolerance and freedom of conscience. When accepted and encouraged, dissent can be an important monitoring force, providing correctives for unethical behavior, unfavorable decision-making, and insensitivity to others’ needs. Dissent can also be dangerous, undermining sound and orderly government, and fueling conflict and aggression.
The convention, as always, features panels, round tables, short courses, and programming on the convention theme. In addition, the Fourth Annual James C. McCroskey and Virginia P. Richmond Undergraduate Scholars Conference (USC) will run concurrently with the ECA convention on Friday and Saturday (April 25-26). USC papers will be accepted through December 20, 2013, to enable scholarly student papers from the fall semester to be submitted.
Submission of Completed Papers: Individual submissions of complete papers should include the following elements:
- A detachable title page with the title of the paper and the author’s affiliation, mailing address, telephone number, and email address. If the paper has multiple authors, please indicate who will be presenting at the convention.
- The word “Debut” marked on all papers written by authors who have not presented previously at a regional or national convention.
- A one-page abstract on the second page.
- A request for AV needs.
- A statement of professional responsibility on the second page.
Submission of Program/Panel Proposals: Submission of program/panel proposals should include the following elements:
- A thematic title for the program.
- Names of the chair and respondents (if any). Chairs should not also be designated as respondents.
- Names, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, and institutional affiliations of all participants.
- Titles and abstracts for each paper or presentation.
- A program copy (no more than a 75-word description) as it should appear in the final program.
- A detailed rationale for the program/panel.
- A statement of professional responsibility.
Statement of Professional Responsibility: The statement below MUST be included with every submission of a paper or panel in order for it to be eligible for review.
In submitting the attached paper or proposal, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this panel or paper if it is accepted and programmed. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at ECA’s annual meeting must register and pay required fees.
Please submit materials electronically to:
Kristen Lynn Majocha, Ph.D.
University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown
450 Schoolhouse Road
Johnstown, PA 15904
Close | Printer Friendly Page