ECA 2014 Convention - Interpersonal Communication Interest Group Call for Submissions
INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION INTEREST GROUP
CALL FOR PAPERS
Eastern Communication Association
105th Annual Convention
Communities of Dissent: A “Lively Experiment” In Dialogue, Diversity, and Discourse
The Omni Providence
Providence, Rhode Island
April 23-27, 2014
Submission Deadline: October 15, 2013
The Interpersonal Communication Interest Group invites submissions of competitive papers and panel/program proposals for the 105th Annual ECA Convention in Providence, R.I. The convention theme, “Communities of Dissent: A ‘Lively Experiment’ in Dialogue, Diversity, and Discourse,” explores the light and dark sides of dissent across communication contexts. We encourage submitters to consider papers, panels, and programs that investigate how dissent is supported or suppressed within interpersonal relationships, with varying degrees of constraining and enabling relational outcomes. Submissions that represent diverse theoretical and methodological perspectives are encouraged.
Submissions should be sent via email to the interest group chair, Megan M. Dowd, Ph.D., at firstname.lastname@example.org. All submissions must be received by October 15, 2013 in order to be considered. Acceptance of a paper or panel proposal obligates authors and/or presenters to attend the conference and present the paper.
Submission Guidelines for Completed Papers
Completed papers should be no more 25 pages in length (excluding title page, abstract, references, and tables). Please submit completed manuscripts as MS Word files. Papers should be written in accordance with APA 6th edition.
Submit one electronic copy of your paper to Megan Dowd at email@example.com following the guidelines below:
1. Indicate “ECA 2014 Submission” along with title of the paper in the subject line of the email and all subsequent correspondence. Submissions shall include two separate files: a detachable title page and the manuscript or proposal.
2. The detachable title page shall include the name(s) and contact information for the author(s). If submitting a co-authored paper, please place an asterisk by the name of the presenting author. Papers authored by individuals who have not previously presented at a regional or national convention should be clearly marked as “Debut.” Papers submitted by current students should be clearly marked as “Student Paper.”
3. The second file should include a one-page abstract and statement of professional responsibility (see below), followed by the text of the manuscript. Please remove ALL identifying information from this file.
Submission Guidelines for Panel/Program Proposals
When emailing a submission, indicate “ECA 2014 Program Submission” and the title of the panel/program in the subject line of the message.
All program/panel submissions should be sent as one Microsoft Word file, and must include:
1. A thematic title for the program/panel.
2. The name of the Chair and Respondent (if any). Please do not have chairs act as respondents.
3. The names, institutional affiliations, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of all participants.
4. Titles and abstracts for each paper or presentation.
5. The program copy (no more than a 75-word description) as it should appear in the final program.
6. A detailed rationale for the program/panel.
7. A statement of professional responsibility (see below).
8. A request for technology, if the presenter wishes to use technology to present his/her work (see below).
All submissions should include the following statement of professional responsibility. Papers and panels without this statement will not be programmed.
"In submitting the attached paper or proposal, I/we recognize that this submission is considered a professional responsibility. I/we agree to present this paper or program/panel if it is accepted and programmed. I/we further recognize that all who attend and present at ECA's annual meeting must register and pay the required fees."
For additional information about the upcoming convention, please visit ECA’s website http://www.ecasite.org/. Please contact the Interpersonal Communication Interest Group Program Planner, via e-mail, for further information:
Megan M. Dowd, Ph.D.
Department of Communication
198 College Hill Drive
Clinton, NY 13323
< Back | Printer Friendly Page