Ten Questions to Find a Quality Hospice
You can decide which hospice you want to care for your loved one and let your physician and/or social workers know which one you prefer. Call the hospice and ask them:
- Is the hospice Medicare-certified?
- How quickly can staff come to begin the admissions process? Can I be admitted at night or on a weekend?
- Does the hospice provide home-like care in a hospice residence, hospital or nursing home?
- Are clinical staff certified or credentialed in hospice and palliative care?
- What services do volunteers offer, and if requested, how quickly will a volunteer be available?
- Will staff come to the home if there is a crisis at any time of day or night and on weekends? Who can make home visits (nurses, doctors, social workers, chaplains)?
- If I need to go to the hospital or nursing home which one(s) does/doesn't the hospice work with?
- Does the hospice conduct a family evaluation survey?
- What "extra" services does the hospice offer?
- Is the hospice a member of Midwest Care Alliance or the National Hospice & Palliative Care Organization? Does it follow NHPCO Standards?