NCAB Announces 2013 Scholarship Opportunities
NCAB continues the tradition of offering two $10,000 scholarships for students pursuing a career in broadcasting. The “NCAB Scholarship” and the “Broadcasters Scholarship” are defined below.
- The “NCAB Scholarship” will be awarded to the child of a Regular, Affiliate or Associate Member of NCAB. The parent must have completed at least one year of continuous service with the member company by January 31, 2013, and continue to be employed at the time of the award.
- The “Broadcasters Scholarship” will be awarded to a student who has been recommended by a Regular, Affiliate or Associate Member of NCAB, regardless of the employment of their parent. The NCAB member who is recommending the applicant must include their statement on page 2 of this application form.
Additional Criteria that apply to both scholarships:
- Applicant must be a high school senior entering a North Carolina college or university on a full-time basis as a first-time freshman, or currently enrolled as a full-time student at a North Carolina college or university with the intention of pursuing a career in broadcasting.
- Applicant must currently be no younger than 17 years and no older than 20 years.
- Applicant must provide an official school transcript, three references and two letters of recommendation (family members are ineligible).
- Applicant must provide an essay describing why you are interested in the field of broadcasting and what area of the field you wish to pursue. Essay must be typewritten and contain a minimum of 500 words.
- Completed application and additional required information must be returned to the Association office postmarked no later than Friday, March 29, 2013.
- Scholarship winners are selected on a “blind” name identity basis by the faculty of the Elon University Communications Department. The name of each applicant is redacted by the NCAB staff before submission of applications to the faculty at Elon, thus assuring that the judges have no knowledge of the identity of the applicant.
All applicants will be acknowledged by mail in June 2013. Upon confirmation of enrollment, payment will be made directly to the school.
To apply, please complete the application form found under the members section. For additional information, call the Association office at 919-821-7300.