Details Larger Image
Designing and Implementing Career Programs: A Handbook for Effective Practice
Author/Editor: James P. Sampson, Jr. PhD
The purpose of this handbook is to stimulate discussion among senior managers, managers, practitioners, administrative staff, and stakeholders about the cost-effective design and delivery of career resources, service-delivery tools, and services for adolescents and adults in career centers and schools who have varying needs for assistance in making occupational, educational, training, and employment decisions. Monograph.
- Self-help, brief staff-assisted, individual case-managed, and distance delivery
- Seven-step service delivery sequence
- Four-step model for promoting effective use of assessment and information resources
- Selecting, sequencing, and pacing the use of career resources
- Signage, maps, resource guides, diagnostic assessment, and individual learning plans
- Career resource rooms, Internet Web sites, and information handouts
Program Evaluation Strategies
Five-step Model for Providing Accountability Data
Eight-step Implementation Model
Making Implementation a Success
Strategies for Adapting the Models Presented in the Handbook
Resources Available in the Appendices and Accompanying CD-ROM include:
- Glossary of key terms
- Staff training handout, "Key Elements in Designing and Implementing Career Resources and Services"
- Template and example of a resource guide
- Identifying potential career resources and services for resource guides
- Resource guide worksheet
- Individual learning plan
- Example of a completed individual learning plan
- Example of an information handout
- Implementation checklist
- Worksheet for managing implementation
PowerPoint presentations for staff training on the following topics are included: career services, service-delivery tools, career resources, evaluation and accountability, eight-step implementation model, and implementation success.
To view these PowerPoint presentations, TCSLINKTONEWS[5518,visit the companion article in Career Convergence,layout_details].
View Chapter 1 (PDF)
Designing and Implementing Career Programs - Table of Contents (PDF)
A book review is available online in NCDA's Career Convergence web magazine.
- Career Information Resources/Curriculum/Activities
- Coaching/Consultation/Performance Improvement
- Ethical/Legal Issues
Mfr#: ISBN: 978-1-885333-21-6