Student Council Presidents Meet in Chicago
The Council of Osteopathic Student Government Presidents (COSGP), convened July 16-18, under the leadership of Chair Sally Mathew, BS, NYCOM/NYIT, in conjunction with the AOA’s 2012 Annual Business Meeting in Chicago, Illinois. Ms. Mathew also presented to the AOA Board of Trustees during their Annual Business Meeting.
OU-HCOM representatives included Simon Fraser and Nicholas Barnes, who, following the COSGP, both joined the Ohio Delegation to the Ohio Osteopathic Association as voting members of the AOA House of Delegates. At the student meeting, the Council:
- Conducted a “Meet ‘n’ Greet” event to allow members to familiarize themselves with one another.
- Observed a presentstion on the issue of GME, school growth, ACGME, and the Institute of Medicine from AACOM President and CEO Stephen C. Shannon.
- Provided an overview of the National Osteopathic Student Caucus (NOSC), led by Mark Bieska, Parliamentarian, COSGP.
- Held a leadership training session, led by Chelsea Nickolson, National 1st Vice Chair, COSGP.
- Participated in a meeting of the 2012 NOSC.
- Observed a presentation on student research opportunities, led by John Lynch, DO, MPH, Staff Clinician, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Received a legislative update from American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) Government Relations Director Pamela Murphy and AACOM Assistant Director of Government Relations Mary-Lynn Bender.
The COSGP’s next meeting will be held October 6, 2012, in San Diego, California, during the AOA OMED meeting.