HIPAA Privacy Compliance Materials Now Available
Compliance Manual for Pharmacies
HIPAA Privacy Standards Compliance Materials for
One of the most immediate challenges facing pharmacy is the new privacy regulations of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). Failure to comply can mean huge fines, or even 10 years in jail! April 14, 2003 is the compliance date for most covered entities. The deadline for complying with the HIPAA Transaction & Code Set (TCS) rules is October 2002. You may file an extension for this to October 16, 2003. However, the extension is not automatic. Covered entities must file for the extension by October 15, 2002. There is no fee for filing an extension request. The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) released a model form to file for the extension. The form and instructions can be found at: http://www.cms.gov/hipaa/hipaa2/default.asp. Remember this extension is for the Transaction and Code Sets only.
The Ohio Pharmacists Association is cooperating in the marketing of the HIPAA Privacy Compliance Manual, developed specifically for pharmacists and pharmacies, with the National Association of Chain Drug Stores (NACDS). The manual includes summaries and outlines of the privacy requirements, and samples of all the necessary forms, policies, and procedures-all in easily understandable terms.
In more than 200 pages and 19 chapters, the compliance manual covers issues including:
* HIPAA basics, how to get started on your HIPAA compliance program;
* providing adequate notice to customers;
* obtaining customer consent and authorization;
* how you can (and canít) make disclosures without a customerís permission;
* identifying and contracting with business
* marketing restrictions;
* customersí rights to accounting of disclosures, copies of records, etc.
* mandatory employee training;
* handling customer complaints;
* government enforcement.
The special reduced rate for Ohio Pharmacists Association members is $295.
The price for non-members is $350. The price includes:
* Free updates to the manual for two years, as needed
* Free subscription to NACDS HIPAA Update newsletter
* Reduced registration fees for NACDS HIPAA conferences
An order form is on page 19 in the August Ohio Pharmacist journal or may be obtained online and printed. $$Link,http://www.ohiopharmacists.org/pdf_files/hipaamanualorderform.pdf,
/> HIPAA Manual Order Form$$ (PDF File: 28K)
Or give us a call (614.798.0037) or e-mail (email@example.com) and we can fax the order form to you today.
< Back | Printer Friendly Page
January 30 - February 8, 2015
Royal Carribean's Adventure of the Seas
February 24, 2015
Sheraton Columbus Hotel at Capitol Square & State House
April 17-19, 2015
Greater Columbus Convention Center, Columbus, OH