Immunization Program DescriptionProgram Description:
OPA in cooperation with the Ohio Pharmacists Foundation is offering a course that, under the new Ohio law, allows pharmacists to administer certain adult immunizations.
This program has been approved by the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy to qualify pharmacists to administer adult influenza, pneumococcal, tetanus, hepatitis A and hepatitis B vaccines.
Goals. The goals of this program are to train pharmacists to set up an adult immunization program for influenza, pneumococcal, tetanus, and hepatitis A & B; and to train pharmacists to properly administer vaccines and meet the requirements established by the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy for record keeping and for the use of physician protocols. The Ohio Pharmacists Association was instrumental in the passage of S.B. 248 (amending section 4729.41) which codifies the pharmacist’s ability to administer the following adult immunizations: influenza, pneumonia, tetanus, hepatitis A and hepatitis B. Pharmacists desiring to give immunizations must:
- complete a course in drug administration approved by the State Board of Pharmacy;
- receive and maintain certification to perform basic life-support procedures by completing a basic life-support training course by the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association; and
- practice in accordance with a definitive set of treatment guidelines specified in a protocol established by a physician and approved by the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy.
Certificate of Achievement. To become eligible to receive a Certificate of Achievement for this program and to meet Ohio State Board of Pharmacy criteria, participants must:
- complete the home study program with a passing grade of at least 80%
(ACPE 129-000-04-046-H01, 0.30 CEU)
- attend the live training session
(ACPE 129-000-04-047-L01, 0.40 CEUs)
- complete the CPR course or show proof of current certification in CPR
(ACPE 129-000-04-043-L04, 0.45 CEUs)
The Ohio Pharmacists Foundation is the educational arm of the Ohio Pharmacists Association. As part of its mission, the Foundation provides education programs designed for pharmacists, to address the daily issues of pharmacy.
The Ohio Pharmacists Foundation, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
< Back | Printer Friendly Page
January 30 - February 8, 2015
Royal Carribean's Adventure of the Seas
February 24, 2015
Sheraton Columbus Hotel at Capitol Square & State House
April 17-19, 2015
Greater Columbus Convention Center, Columbus, OH