HOD Essay Contest - Deadline Extended!
Students, win a trip to Salt Lake City, UT
Current APTA Student Members:
- Get an inside and firsthand look at APTA’s chief policy making body, the HOD, and the governance process of the profession.
- Have the opportunity to learn from dedicated and experienced physical therapists and physical therapist assistants as they set the professional standards for the coming year.
- Meet and network with physical therapy professionals and with students from other programs around the country.
The Ohio Physical Therapy Association (OPTA) will provide travel and hotel costs for one student to serve as an usher for the APTA House of Delegates June 24-26, 2013 in Salt Lake City, Utah. The student usher will travel with and be mentored by OPTA’s 15 delegates and staff!
To apply to be OPTA’s sponsored student usher to the APTA HOD, you must be a current APTA member, be currently enrolled in an accredited PT or PTA program in Ohio, and provide a 1000 word, type-written response to the following question:
How would you promote professional involvement in governance in new professionals?
You are not eligible to submit an essay if you have been previously financially supported by the OPTA to attend the National Student Conclave, the Federal Advocacy Forum of the APTA, the State Government Affairs Forum, or a prior House of Delegates.
If selected as OPTA’s sponsored student usher, you will be expected to:
- Coordinate with OPTA staff for travel and hotel reservations within the allotted budget, to include staying with another OPTA member or student who will be attending.
- Attend all student usher orientations and sessions of the HOD and attend Ohio delegation meetings and caucuses as your schedule permits.
- Present yourself, your PT or PTA program, and the OPTA/APTA in a professional and positive manner.
- Write a short article for OPTA’s newsletter, ACCESS summarizing your experience at the HOD
To apply to be OPTA’s sponsored student usher to the APTA HOD, please email your completed essay and a cover letter with your name, contact information, the name of your PT or PTA program, and your APTA member number to:
Adam Miller, Communications/Member Services at:
Your cover letter and essay must be received by February 28, 2013.
If you are NOT selected as OPTA’s sponsored student usher, you are still encouraged to apply directly to the APTA to be a student usher by contacting them at: email@example.com. If selected by the APTA to be a student usher, you will be able to travel with and be mentored by OPTA’s delegation and staff and attend Ohio delegation meetings and caucuses as your schedule permits. However, you will be responsible for your expenses.
< Back | Printer Friendly Page