Student SIG Officers
Student Special Interest Group (SSIG)
The purpose of this special interest group is to give students a voice in the OPTA. The group provides students with a way for students having a common interest may meet, confer, and promote the interests of student members, the OPTA, and the APTA. It will be a vehicle by which valuable information can be disseminated to physical therapist and physical therapist assistant students about current events affecting the profession.
The objectives of the student SIG are to:
- provide for exchange of information among Student SIG members concerning issues confronting the profession
- identify and respond to areas of concern related to student members
- promote the role of students in physical therapy in Ohio
- promote membership in and an understanding of the APTA, the OPTA, and the Student SIG
- encourage participation of students in the SIG and in the OPTA
- assist the OPTA and APTA in furthering the profession of physical therapy in Ohio
- networking opportunities with other students in Ohio as well as your leaders in the OPTA
- mentoring opportunities
- develop leadership skills through
- interactions with the leaders of the association
- receive important information about workings of the OPTA
- receive important information preparing students for their future as PTs and PTAs
Co-Chairs: one PT and one PTA student
- Reports to the Student Affairs Chair(s).
- Works with Chair(s) of the Student Affairs Committee to plan the Student Symposium at the OPTA Annual Conference.
- Serves as key contacts for the PT and PTA Programs in Ohio.
- Prepares an agenda for monthly SSIG conference calls (coordinates reports from other officers to include on the agenda).
- Presides at monthly SSIG conference calls.
- All executive positions listed below report to the PT and PTA Co-Chairs
Vice Chair/Treasurer/Nominating Chair:
- Assists with general communication between all SIG officers and takes initiative to fill in when there is an absence of respective officer(s).
- Coordinates and welcomes incoming SSIG class/school representatives.
- Serves as nominating chair to slate candidates for SSIG office and helps to coordinate SSIG elections.
- Treasurer duties:
- Works with Student Affairs Chair(s) and OPTA Treasurer to develop strategies for fund-raising and for the Student SIG becoming financially independent.
- Gives input to Student Affairs Chair(s) and OPTA Treasurer for SIG budget.
- Records minutes from each SIG meeting.
- Sends meeting minutes to Student Affairs Chair(s) to be disseminated to the SSIG executive board, ACCEs, and school representatives.
- Works with the Student Affairs Chair(s) in gathering articles for the student corner of the ACCESS newsletter.
- Supports and organizes communication with other SSIG officers.
- Works with the Student Affairs Chair(s) and Chapter Staff to keep the OPTA student website, OPTA SSIG website, and OPTA Student Facebook page updated.
- Monitors the OPTA Student Facebook page during monthly conference calls to field questions to the group.
- Coordinates volunteers for the monthly SSIG Journal Club that takes place on conference calls.
- Responsible for organizing extracurricular activities related to the OPTA students in collaboration with the OPTA.
- Duties range from organizing community events (walks, runs, charities) to keeping students updated about current events going on throughout the state on calls.
Student Challenge Coordinator:
- Responsible for organization of and critiquing of the Student Challenge at the Student Symposium.
- Helps solicit and organize Student Challenge game questions before the Symposium.
- Coordinates game set-up, team registration, and presents the game rules at the Student Challenge before serving as emcee of the event.
- Works with Student Affairs Chair(s) and OPTA office staff for logistics of the event.
- Officer may wish to form a subcommittee within the SSIG to assist with completion of Student Challenge duties.
Core Ambassador to APTA Student Assembly:
- Serves as Ohio’s link between the Student Assembly and the Student Assembly Board of Directors.
- Serves as a contact point throughout the Ohio chapter and for all PT and PTA programs.
- Distributes all relevant information about becoming involved in the Student Assembly.
- Works with Student Affairs Chair (Co-Chairs) to share information from APTA/Student Assembly to students across the state.
- Provides 1-3 presentations regarding APTA membership, the profession, etc.
- Performs at least one advocacy project during term
- This position is elected at OPTA’s Annual Conference, however, this position requires a 3 month overlap of incoming/outgoing officers for mentoring before the Core Ambassador term begins at the time of APTA’s Annual Conference (consistent with other APTA Components).
Student SIG Meeting Minutes: