The OPTA recognizes that as a student of physical therapy YOU are the future. Your voice is important, and your perspective and contributions are needed!
OPTA's NEWEST INITIATIVE - SCHOOL OF THE MONTH
The SSIG provides a way for OPTA student members to confer, meet and exchange information about OPTA and about physical therapy. All student members of OPTA are eligible to join the SSIG.
Three Steps to Get Involved:
- Fill out the Interested Student Form and you will be added to the SSIG member list.
- Find out who the SSIG Representative is at YOUR school + view the SSIG Representative role description.
- Listen in on a SSIG Conference Call meeting. SSIG Conference Call meetings take place the first Sunday of each month at 8:30 p.m.
Upcoming Conference Calls:
Sunday, December 6
Sunday, January 3
Past Meeting Minutes:
- November 14 | Northeast District Strategic Planning Meeting (Northeast District)
- November 18 | PT Pub Night (East Central District)
- December 5 | Introduction to Dry Needling (East Central District)
- December 8 | Lunch & Learn Webinar: Improving Medicare Post Acute Care Transformation (IMPACT) Act of 2014 (Online)
- December 9 | Marilyn Mount Case Report Night (Northeast District)
- Read the latest issue of APTA's The Loop: Your Key to Involvement!
Step 1: Learn about each of the 8 SSIG Board positions + see what the current SSIG board members have to say about their roles.
Step 2: Identify potential student leaders to the OPTA by completing the Student Nomination for Office Form by November 30, 2015. Any OPTA student member can self-nominate, nominate a peer or be nominated by a faculty member (limit of two positions per nominee).
Step 3: SSIG Student Affairs Chair contacts nominated students for consent to serve, candidate bios and headshot.
Step 4: VOTE! Online voting opens March 24, 2016 and is open for 30 days. At the beginning of the 30-day election period, OPTA student members will receive an email with login instructions to place your votes through our partner AssociationVoting.com.
Step 5: Election results are announced at the Annual Membership Meeting the OPTA Annual Conference on April 23, 2016 in Columbus, Ohio.
Step 6: Elected SSIG board serves throughout the 2016-2017 school year.
OPTA hosts student essay contests during the year to fund trips for deserving students to attend APTA national events. Deadlines and submission instructions will be posted as the contests open.
Event Date: April 3-5, 2016
Location: Washington D.C.
Contest Deadline: Details will be available here in January 2016.
2016 House of Delegates (as a student usher)
Event Date: June 6-8, 2016
Location: Nashville, TN
Contest Deadline: Details will be available in March 2016.
Event Date: September 19-21
Location: Denver, Colorado
Contest Deadline: This contest is now closed.
Congrats to Cody Smith from Ohio University and Karen Thatcher from The Ohio State University!
Event Date: October 22-24
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
More info: Nominated by faculty
Contest Deadline: Congrats to Ali Thorup from University of Cincinnati and Corey Block from Ohio University!
APTA's Student Assembly Page
Benefits of Student Membership in APTA and OPTA
List of Scholarship Opportunities for PT/PTA Students
OPTA Students Facebook page ← Stay informed!
Prospective and Current Students of PT
Career Starter Dues Program ← Graduating soon? Make sure to look here!
SSIG Representative Role Description
Follow OPTA on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and LinkedIn!
Click here to view a clickable PDF of all the PT and PTA programs in the state of Ohio!
Volunteer Challenge -- Click for details on how to make your volunteer hours count!