Save Date: 11/30/2003
Activity: At vacation home
A week after the Baum's arrived in Mexico, Jim sat on the porch with a cup of coffee and opened the cardboard box with an AED in it. He wanted to see how it worked, so he screwed in the battery and started to play with it. Later that evening, he showed the device to his wife and their visitors, a dentist and a nurse. It was an interesting conversation piece. The next day after a walk across the beach to a nearby restaurant, Jim started to feel tired. He decided to go back to the condo to take a nap. His wife and their guests stayed behind to eat. Not long after lying down, Jim began to get chest pains and feel cold and clammy. Fortunately, his wife decided not to have a second cup of coffee and returned to the condo. When Jim heard them enter, he called for his wife and told her what was happening. She beckoned for their medical guests to come into the bedroom. As Jim began to respond that there was no need to go to the hospital, his eyes rolled back and he collapsed in sudden cardiac arrest. While Nancy attempted to call 9-1-1(which doesn't exist in Mexico), the nurse reached over and pulled the AED off the dresser; the dentist applied it to Jim's chest. Seventeen seconds after collapse a shock was administered and Jim was revived. When he opened his eyes, Jim recalls thinking, "I went to sleep with these three people standing around me? How rude!" Needless to say, the speedy response by his friends, and the presence of the AED purchased for his neighbors, which was put in the suitcase by his wife, saved Jim's life.