On December 6, 2002, Amber's music class was walking back to the school from a caroling field trip to downtown Kidron. As the group entered the school driveway, Amber collapsed. Students Andrew Dutcher and Jon Moore were instructed by Tim Shue, the teacher, to run for help and get an AED. Colleen Ramsay assisted Tim in the initial emergency assessment and care of Amber. Staff member Bruce Kooker quickly responded from the school. A passerby, Elsa Boen, stopped and called 9-1-1 and a registered nurse in the community, Kathy Schmid, who happened to be driving by, stopped as well.
Bruce and Kathy determined that Amber had no carotid pulse, was not breathing, was unconscious with bluish appearance, and was in apparent cardiac arrest. The AED electrode pads were applied and a shock was advised. After the initial shock, CPR was administered by Bruce and Kathy. Another shock was given upon a second analysis, just before the Kidron Volunteer Fire Department EMS arrived. A pulse was detected shortly after that by the EMS responders, who took over her care.
Amber was transported to Orrville's Dunlap Hospital, and later transferred to Aultman Hospital in Canton. Three days later, a defibrillator and a pacemaker were surgically implanted.
In January, Amber returned to school and is recovering nicely from the incident.