Brian Eatmon

Save Date: July 10, 2008
Age at SCA: 43

July 10, 2008 started like any other day. I woke up early and started getting ready for work. For the last month I have been working at Bubba Gumps in the kitchen. On this day I was assigned to work at the grill. After working for a while, I remember feeling hot and stepping away from the grill. The next thing I know I was waking up at the hospital. They tell me I had a sudden cardiac arrest and was in a coma for three days.

On that special day, there was a exceptional co-worker who saved my life. Apparently I had a cardiac arrest while working at the grill. Many of my co-workers witnessed the event but no one knew what to do, they were in shock. One co-worker, Erin, saw what happened and she knew exactly what needed to be done. She started CPR on me and sent someone else for the AED located not too far away. She attached the AED and shocked me. She had never done this before but had just recently taken a CPR class and she knew this was the treatment necessary to save my life. I have been told they shocked me three times, bringing me back to life each time.

What I want to share with you is it did not hurt, I didn't feel any pain from this event. So don't be afraid to use an AED! They save lives, I'm proof that they work. The actions of my co-worker saved my life and I am grateful for her and the AED.

Thank you for letting me share my story!