Lutheran Church of the Resurrection, Cincinnati
Music and Choir Director (Part Time) Position Description
LCR is a suburban church of approximately 190 families located in Anderson Township, an eastern suburb of Cincinnati, which is seeking an experienced musician to play the piano, lead worship music, direct our choir, and provide liturgical and ministerial leadership to the music program.
Skills and Qualifications
1. Bachelor’s degree in music.
2. Strong keyboard, conducting, and teaching skills.
3. Knowledge of appropriate church music (classical, contemporary, folk, and gospel) and the role of music in Lutheran worship.
4. Strong interpersonal skills allowing candidate to work effectively, creatively, and in partnership with staff and congregation.
5. Current computer skills and knowledge to use music software.
Responsibilities (Music Director)
1. Play the piano at the 5:30PM Saturday and 9:15AM worship services, as well as Wednesday evening Lenten services, Holy week services, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day services.
2. Provide accompaniment to the adult choir during worship and all Wednesday evening rehearsals (September – May).
3. Schedule and administrate all special music for worship (instrumentals, tone chimes, vocals, etc.).
4. Attend Worship and Music Committee meetings (approximately every 6 weeks) providing reports of musical ministries to the committee.
5. Assist in planning liturgies and selecting hymns.
6. Participate in New Member Class by explaining LCR’s music ministry to the class (twice a year).
7. Obtain substitute pianists when unavailable to play due to vacation, illness, etc.
8. Evaluate opportunities, including seminars, to expand the music ministry of LCR.
9. Work as a substitute musician for the Joyful Noise Praise Band as needed.( Not to exceed 6 worship services per year. )
10. Develop and implement a vision for continued growth and expansion of the current music ministry.
11. Coordinate music ministry with the overall mission of the church, working collegially with pastoral staff, other music leaders, and the Worship & Music Committee.
12. Review the Worship Bulletins for each weekend worship service in order to assure accuracy of all music related to the liturgy.
Responsibilities (Choir Director)
1. Direct the Adult Choir in one rehearsal per week toward participation in worship each Sunday, September – May. In addition, prepare the choir for special services throughout the Church year such as Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday and Good Friday, as determined by consultation with musicians, Pastors, and Worship and Music Committee.
2. Actively recruit new musicians into the church musical ministry including choir and instrumentals, providing an atmosphere of musical learning, growth, and mutual care.
3. Cooperate with the Pastors and Music Committee to accomplish planning tasks and provide leadership to the music program. The Adult Choir Director will be directly responsible to the Music Committee in developing short and long range plans and annual budget requirements.
4. Work with the Pastors and Music Committee to choose hymns.
5. Purchase all music and music supplies for the Adult Choir, limiting the expenditures to the amount provided in the church budget.
Please provide resume and salary requirements to:
< Back | Printer Friendly Page