Youth & Family Ministry
What We Advocate
Youth & Family Ministry in a congregational setting can come in various shapes and sizes. There is no "one way" to do ministry to children, youth and families. Having said such, there are some basic philosophical concepts that are workable in most settings. Our overall goal in the Synod is to equip congregations with the knowledge and skills necessary to build a foundation that can lead to long-term sustainable ministry to church families.
- Creating a healthy youth and family ministry culture in your congregation
- Developing healthy intergenerational relationships within the congregation
- Developing a ministry before developing a program
- That parents take the lead role in passing the faith onto their children
- That congregations work to equip parents in their ministry to their children
- Developing Faith Webs. The vision is to wrap our children and youth in a web of faith so loving and caring that they will always want to be a part of a local congregation. The goal being to have as many people of faith of all ages in our children's "Faith Web" as possible.
- That since children's flight patterns are pretty much set by age 12, that parents work to have their children totally immersed in the church by sixth grade.
- That the church building become a second home to young people (family celebrations, birthday and graduation parties, etc...)
- That children, youth, and families become involved in meaningful service projects.
- That congregations develop "Impact Events." An Impact Event is a reoccurring event that grows and develops into an "I wouldn't miss it for anything" event.
- That congregations consider outcome-based youth minsitry. That is, developing in advance a set of practical "Faith Skills" to be acquired by children and youth by the time they graduate from High School.
- That congregations involve youth in the life and mission of the church by helping youth to discover their gifts and talents and then easing them into responsibilities utilizing their gifts and talents.