CSCA - 2013 Conference Reminders - Health Communication Interest Group
HEALTH COMMUNICATION INTEREST GROUP
Call for Submissions
2013 Central States Communication Association Conference
Kansas City Marriott Downtown
Kansas City, Missouri
Communicating the Possible
April 2 – April 7, 2013
The Health Communication Interest Group invites submissions of competitive papers, programs, and panels to be considered for programming at the 2013 CSCA conference to be held in Kansas City, Missouri. Our interest group focuses on the role of communication in the delivery and promotion of health and the ways in which communication and health are reciprocally influenced across the lifespan. Among research interests are concern for communication effectiveness of providers and consumers, development of health campaigns, promotion of ethics, and the role of technology. We welcome all topics related to health communication, while especially encouraging submissions that focus on the convention theme (for example, explorations of the possibilities for resilience, compassion, expressiveness, forgiveness, hope, healing, acceptance, alleviation of suffering, and transcendence in health situations and the relationship of these to communication). Various contexts should be considered, such as interpersonal relationships (provider-patient, relational partners, etc.), families and small groups, organizations, communities, and cultures.
A variety of formats are welcome, including competitive paper panels, roundtable discussions, spotlight and dialogue sessions, and high-density programming. We welcome and encourage undergraduate and graduate student submissions.
Guidelines for Submission:
1. Papers must conform to current APA standards and must include a title page that is a separate document from the paper, allowing the author(s) identity/identities to be concealed. Remove all author references in the text of the paper. Indicate if author(s) is/are CSCA members. Students (including graduate students) should type "STUDENT" on the upper right-hand corner of the title page.
2. Individuals may not submit more than one lead authored paper.
3. Each paper submitted cannot exceed 25 pages, excluding references and appendices. Papers exceeding the maximum page limit will not be considered for review.
4. Panels: Individuals proposing panels must complete and submit the 2013 CSCA Panel Proposal Request, available on the CSCA website. Panel proposals must include the following: (a) title, (b) brief abstract, (c) name of person responsible for the program, (d) names, institutional affiliations, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of each panel participant. Indicate if participants are CSCA members.
5. Awards will be given to the top student competitive paper and top non-student competitive paper.
All papers must be submitted electronically using Microsoft Word. Documents sent using any other format will be returned to the sender. An e-mail acknowledging receipt of paper and panel proposals will be sent for each submission.
**Note: All media requests should be made at the time of submission. The only media available will be a projector for computers; computers will not be provided, and Internet access will not be available.
Deadline: Submissions must be received by 11:59 pm on Friday, October 5, 2012.
Submit all papers and panel proposals electronically using MICROSOFT WORD to the Health Communication Interest Group program planner. Send your submissions to:
Linda Wheeler Cardillo, Ph.D.
Department of Communication and New Media Studies
College of Mount St. Joseph
5701 Delhi Rd.
Cincinnati, OH 45233