College Roundup: Student Reports
Our student chapters of OPA have been busy training the next generation of pharmacists in Ohio. From patient-care exercises to advocacy events, our students have had an active Fall semester and are gearing up to continue this trend in the Spring.
In addition to the events they’re spearheading on campus, student pharamcists are also active on the OPA scene. At OPA’s recent Women in Pharmacy event in conjunction with Cardinal Health, they joined us in talking about the benefits of female pharmacy ownership. Students from all seven campuses are also attending OPA’s Student Legislative Day later this month and the Annual Conference and Trade Show in April!
The following is a sampling of the great activities happening on our seven campuses.
University of Findlay
- Started PREP (Pharmacy Review Educational Programming) for students getting ready to graduate. This hour long prep course focuses on topics covered in pharmacotherapy including: diabetes, STEMI/NSTEMI, antibiotics, anticoagulants, and fluids & electrolytes.
- Heartburn Awareness and Diabetes Awareness days to educate the public about these two important disease
- Officially a recognized student group as of Fall semester!
- Connecting with Clark County Circles to provide medical screenings for lower-income individuals in the county
- Staff weekly health screenings which test blood pressure, blood glucose and cholesterol at two local Kroger stores
University of Toledo
- Hosted a successful patient counseling competition
- Patient care projects focusing on Operation Diabetes and Self-Care
Ohio Northern University
- Teaming up with Generation Rx to provide an opportunity for students to network with pharmacists at OPA’s Annual Conference
- Held Dine-to-Donates at local restaurants to raise money for their PAC fund
Ohio State University
- Work with Nationwide Children’s Hospital on the counseling of appropriate use of inhalers through Open Airways
- Planning a Legislative and Advocacy Night for March
University of Cincinnati
- Give flu vaccines at St. Vincent De Paul and other locations throughout the community
- Annual faculty auction was a huge success! Auctioned off various events to students, including dinners, casino nights, basketball games, glass blowing events, and even a traditional Taiwanese tea ceremony--all involving various professors at the college.
- Won a grant from the Cardinal Health Foundation for Generation Rx to expand their presence on UC's main campus and spread awareness of prescription drug abuse.
February 28, 2017
OPA Office- 2674 Federated Blvd, Columbus, OH 43235
February 28, 2017
March 7, 2017
OPA office- 2674 Federated Blvd, Columbus, OH 43235
April 21-23, 2017
Greater Columbus Convention Center, Columbus, OH
May 23, 2017
OPA Office - 2674 Federated Blvd, Columbus, OH 43235