Charlie Butruff, Jr.

Age: 66
Save Date: 11/18/2003
Activity: At Home

On the morning of November 18, 2003 my wife Sandy and I arose about 7:30 AM. We did our usual routine upon awaking, nothing out of the ordinary. After we had a bite to eat and some coffee we went shopping at Sam's Club. We spent the next two to three hours shopping and bought several items. We loaded the truck and headed home to put away our treasures. When we got home we started putting everything away. I felt a little tired at that point and told Sandy I would help more after a short nap in my favorite chair. Shortly after I closed my eyes, I drifted off to sleep. A few minutes later, Sandy had a question for me, as she continued to put things away. I didn't respond to her question and she started to shake me. She noticed that my tongue was darting in and out of my mouth, so she called 9-1-1.

Within minutes police fire response, and finally, the EMS ambulance crew arrived. It was exactly 4.8 minutes from the 9-1-1 external defibrillator (AED) attached and activated. Within 5.2 minutes I was back among the living. I remember very little of those next few minutes, or the next three or four days for that matter. It all seemed to be rather unreal, as if I were in a dream. At one point during the EMS process I asked someone if I were in fact, dreaming. The reply was, "No pal, you had a heart attack." On November 21, 2003 I became the proud recipient of a quintuple bypass. I then spent the better part of two weeks recovering in the hospital, and later rehab. During those two weeks that I met Dr. Roger White and Police Deputy Chief Steve Johnston. These two gentlemen are truly incredible, amazing and dedicated people.

I will never be able to repay any of these wonderful people, the police, the firemen, the EMS folks, the medical staff, or especially my lovely wife of 43 years, Sandra, for the life that they gave me back. All I can do is thank them profusely!

Printer-Friendly Version

In the News

None at this time.

All News Stories »