October 28, 2020
OAB-ONMA webinar on election coverage issues
Free webinar for members
With Election Day quickly approaching, the Ohio Association of Broadcasters and the Ohio News Media Association are collaborating for a webinar to review election coverage issues. The webinar will be conducted via Zoom on Wednesday, Oct. 28 at 11 a.m.
Our presenters will be Jack Greiner, a partner in the Cincinnati office of the Graydon law firm who specializes in media law issues, and Shannon Jankowski, an attorney and E.W. Scripps Legal Fellow at the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press.
Topics discussed will include:
- Journalist access to the polls
- Issues surrounding potential election recounts
- Issues to consider in covering potential protests after the election
We will also have time for questions from session participants.
This webinar is free to members of the OAB and ONMA, but pre-registration is requested. The session will be recorded and we will distribute the link to all members following the session.
Additionally, the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press has several resources that may be helpful to newsrooms:
- RCFP Election Legal Guide with specific info for Ohio – https://www.rcfp.org/resources/election-legal-guide/#ohio
- RCFP Guide on Police, Protesters and the Press – https://www.rcfp.org/resources/police-protesters-and-the-press/
- RCFP Tipsheet on covering protests – https://www.rcfp.org/wp-content/uploads/imported/20180614_100229_rcfp_protest_tip_sheet_0618.pdf
- RCFP Legal Hotline – https://www.rcfp.org/legal-hotline/ – this hotline is available during normal business hours. However, the hotline will have special coverage on Election night for journalists who need assistance.
RCFP and Jack Greiner are working as part of the AP Election Access Project, which is providing additional resources for 12 battleground states, including Ohio. In addition to the hotline mentioned above for journalists to access on Election night, a special legal memo regarding election laws in these 12 states is being prepared. We will forward the memo to all media outlets as soon as it is available.