|Safe Stone Slab Handling II - (DVD) (Spanish version)
Focused on Facilities with Overhead Cranes
Created by a team of stone industry safety experts, this video showcases best practices for safe stone slab handling. It includes those practices recommended by the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), and the hazards of not following proper procedures. This video includes eight sections designed so that each section can be utilized as a stand-alone safety training session for your employees.
The sections include:
- Overview of stone-related accidents that have claimed more than 50 lives in the decade beginning in 2000
- Slab handling
- Handling slabs with overhead cranes
- Handling slabs with forklifts
- Slings and clamps
- Material handling and containers
- Material handling and flatbed trucks
- Employee & consumer training
See broader descriptions of each section see below.
Over 60 minutes in length, this video addresses a number of safety components not previously addressed in the MIA 's safety series of videos and other training literature. For more information go online to www.marble-institute.com/safety.
This video is available in English item 10721.
From MIA, 2011 / DVD Video (60 minutes)
For more information about each section:
- Opening - This section reviews a few of the stone-related accidents that have claimed more than 50 lives in the decade beginning in 2000. Created by a team of stone industry safety experts, they have been carefully crafted to show you the best slab handling practices in the industry, including those recommended by OSHA, and the hazards of not following proper procedures.
- Slab Handling Overview - This section demonstrates the importance of a slab 's physical properties: size, weight, & center of gravity; identifies safety precautions that should be taken when moving a slab including the number of people that should be involved, number of slabs that can be moved at one time, and the importance of the fall shadow.
- Handling slabs with overhead cranes - This section identifies the best practices for handling slabs with an overhead crane plus the hazards connected with overhead crane operation
- Handling slabs with forklifts - This section spells out the best practices for handling slabs with a forklift. There are a number of hazards that can be avoided.
- Slings and clamps - This section clarifies the pre-inspection steps that should be taken with each bundle including a careful review of the fall shadow. Included are inspection procedures to be taken prior to moving any slabs, the importance of proper equipment storage, and slab assessment, which will help determine the appropriate equipment needed.
- Material Handling and Containers - Identify pre-inspection steps that should be taken with each bundle, including a careful review of the fall shadow. Recognize a number of unloading safety tips. Understand the basic unloading principles used when extracting bundles from a container. Learn how to move a bundle with a forklift if appropriate
- Material Handling and Flatbed Trucks - this section illustrates a number of hazards that can occur when unloading at a customer 's location and how to avoid them. It highlights the steps should be taken pertaining to weather, weight of the load, and the ground surface for the truck.
- Employee & Consumer training - this section addresses the special dangers when consumers are present in the workplace. You will learn to identify the special safety procedures needed when consumers are present and understand that there is no place for complacency in the stone business.