Elimination of Certificates of Medical Necessity (CMNs) and Durable Medical Equipment Forms (DIFs)
News from DME MAC Jurisdiction B 5/16/2022
CMS is eliminating all remaining CMNs and DIFs effective for claims with dates of service on or after January 1, 2023. CMS has published Change Request (CR) 12734 to update to the Pub. 100-04: Claims Processing Manual explaining the planned change.
- For claims with dates of service on or after January 1, 2023 – providers and suppliers no longer need to submit CMNs or DIFs with claims. Due to electronic filing requirements, claims received with these forms attached will be rejected and returned to the provider or supplier.
- For claims with dates of service prior to January 1, 2023 – processes will not change, and if the CMN or DIF is required, it will still need to be submitted with the claim or be on file with a previous claim.
The current forms that shall be eliminated are as follows:
- 484 Oxygen
- 846 Pneumatic Compression Devices
- 847 Osteogenesis Stimulators
- 848 Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulators
- 849 Seat Lift Mechanisms
- 854 Section C Continuation Form
- 10125 External Infusion Pumps
- 10126 Enteral and Parenteral Nutrition
CMNs/DIFs are still required until they are eliminated for claims with dates of service on/after Jan 1, 2023.
Stay tuned for additional information and instructions for specific policies. CGS will share information on the DME MAC Jurisdiction B website and through our email list.