Are You Prepared for a Disaster? Hurricane, Flood, Tornado and Wildfire Season is Upon Us
Resources Available from VGM
Forecasters at NOAA’s (National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration) Climate Prediction Center, a division of the National Weather Service, are predicting above-average hurricane activity this year — which would make it the seventh consecutive above-average hurricane season. NOAA’s outlook for the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season, which extends from June 1 to November 30, predicts a 65% chance of an above-normal season, a 25% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of a below-normal season. Read the full article here from the NOAA.
Summertime is also a time for drought, flooding, wildfires, and tornados.
Is your HME business prepared for a natural disaster?
There are several resources available from VGM on the Emergency Preparedness for HME Suppliers website. Please take a few minutes to review these resources to ensure you’re ready in the event of a disaster.
VGM Emergency Preparedness Information
- Communication is key during a disaster. Stay in contact with your patients. Make sure you have their phone numbers, and they have your contact info. If a disaster is heading your way, you may want to contact your customers, especially those that rely on oxygen, ventilators, cpaps or anything powered by electricity.
- Reach out to your state emergency departments and your Governor’s office. If state or federal funding is needed, you will want to be in touch to be first in line to receive any funding or other assistance. A simple google search will provide you with their website: “(state) emergency management office.” Once you find the website, find the “contact us” button. Here is a script you can use to send a message to that office. Script
- Stay in contact with your DME MACs office. Keep them updated on your needs. The DME Emergency Preparedness Committee has had discussions with these groups, and they are willing to help in the event of an emergency, particularly with reimbursement guidance. You can find the contact to all the DME MACs offices here: DME MAC Contacts
- Need assistance from FEMA? Here is a link to all the regional FEMA contacts. https://www.fema.gov/about/organization/regions
Please reach out to VGM or OAMES if we can be of further assistance during an emergency.