Council of Centers Spotlight: Johns Hopkins International Injury Research Unit
For each newsletter we will be highlighting an organization that is a member of the SAVIR Council of Centers. This month we feature Johns Hopkins International Injury Research Unit.
1. Background details for the center:
The Johns Hopkins International Injury Research Unit is located in Baltimore, MD. It was founded in 2008 and is currently being led by Center Director Dr. Abdulgafoor M. Bachani.
- What is/are the primary injury topics your organization/center addresses?
Road safety, drowning prevention, disability and rehabilitation, adolescent injuries and violence, child injuries, home injuries, intentional injuries, data systems improvement and data innovations, trauma systems, care of the injured patient, and health systems.
- What is something unique about your city?
Here in Baltimore, we love our sports, arts and literature, and--for those that partake--seafood!
- Tell us about a fun office tradition your organization/center has.
Since the beginning of the pandemic, we've virtually joined together on Zoom or "Friday Connects," which we use as a brief but fun opportunity to catch up outside of work and sometimes we even play games. Last month, we even played a JH-IIRU version on Jeopardy.
- How has your organization stayed connected during the pandemic?
Whether through Zoom, What's App, e-mail, or even old fashioned phone calls, our team has adapted to the changes caused by the pandemic, though we're eager to meet in person when it's completely safe to.
- Anything else you would like to share with SAVIR members about your organization/center?
We're not only thrilled to co-host this year's annual conference with our colleagues at the Johns Hopkins Center for Injury Research and Policy, but also meet and collaborate with SAVIR members from all across the country!