Manager, Social Media & Online Communities
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
Job Context Information
Strategic Communications is a team within the Mission Advancement unit responsible for planning and implementing effective and integrated communications, publications, public relations, marketing and digital media strategies for the churchwide expression of the ELCA.
The Manager, Social Media & Online Communities, develops, manages and evaluates the ELCA’s strategy and presence on online communities, including but not limited to social media channels, online forums and discussion groups, online collaborative working groups and more. Responsible for developing new opportunities for digital engagement and integrating social media into overall business strategies of the ELCA.
1. Develop strategies and implement the ELCA’s engagement on social media platforms, including launch and expansion on emerging online communities and social platforms, which may include crowdfunding, online working groups and other tools.
2. Lead internal team of content contributors and marketing professionals in generating art, content and campaigns to serve as the daily voice of the ELCA across all social media platforms.
3. Provide general oversight, moderation and discussion across platforms
4. Develop set of metrics to measure, track and analyze ELCA’s engagement and effective use of social media platforms
5. Assist the Manager for Community Engagement Strategy with efforts to equip congregational leaders with tools and resources to connect with their communities and one another.
6. Performs other duties as assigned
5-10% for churchwide events, meetings and continued education/conferences
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone. This position requires sitting for long periods of time. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Experience and Skills
1. Extensive knowledge and experience managing social media platforms, including but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Snapchat, Instagram and YouTube and emerging trends
2. Understanding of traditional marketing and the role of social media in the marketing mix
3. Exceptional skills at building and maintaining relationships with ELCA members and constituents; knowledge of the ELCA, programs and teachings
4. Strong verbal and written communication skills, including proofreading
5. Ability to work both independently and within a team environment. Very organized, able to multi-task and manage projects from conception through completion in a fast-paced work environment. Willingness to be available as needed during off-work hours for social media engagement.
Required certifications or licenses
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communication or Public Relations or related field and minimum of two years of marketing communications experience, preferably in nonprofit sector.