The excitement is growing! What YOU need to do to be a part of Thrive! 8.27.19
All You Need to Do to Take Part in Thrive!
The Thrive! Campaign is underway – and excitement is growing! Approximately $186,000 has already been committed and $77,448 already received!
What is Thrive? Thrive! is designed to equip lay leaders, raise up new rostered ministers, launch new congregations, and enhance worship life across the Synod through new initiatives we have not previously been able to afford or attempt. The following steps walk you through all you need do to be part of this opportunity to be “Stronger and Better Together.”
- Download the Thrive! Acceptance and Leader Forms Packet from the Synod website. Make copies for church leaders to refer to during Step 2.
- Share the Thrive! Council Presentation Video with your Congregation Council and/or other appropriate leaders by mid-October. Just click here to connect online and give your leaders information they need to make an informed decision about Thrive!
- Appoint your Congregation Leader (or leaders) by October 31st – the person(s) who will take primary responsibility for your church’s campaign. Note: Meeting this deadline is critical for doing Step 5!
- Return copies of the Congregation Acceptance Form and Congregation Leader Form to the Synod office or Thrive@SouthernOhioSynod.org.
- Arrange for your Congregation Leader(s) to attend any one of the five training events scheduled around the Synod. Pastors are encouraged to attend, too!
November 2, 2019
10:00-11:30 Good Shepherd, 7701 Kenwood Road, Cincinnati
2:00-3:30 St. John, 122 West National Road, Vandalia
7:00-8:30 Synod Office, Columbus
November 17, 2019
2:00-3:30 St. John’s, 116 North 7th Street, Zanesville
5:00-6:30 First English, 220 North Columbus Street, Lancaster
The Leader(s) will receive complete training, a comprehensive Campaign Manual, and all the Thrive! printed materials your church needs for the campaign.
Note: If your Leader(s) are unable to attend any of these sessions, contact Campaign Manager, Pastor Larry Donner (Thrive@SouthernOhioSynod.org), right away to make alternate arrangements.
- Set a 3-year Thrive! campaign non-binding financial goal for your congregation. Refer to Congregation Acceptance Form for more information.
- Conduct your congregation’s five-to-six week Thrive! campaign during a convenient time period in 2020.
- Receive donations for Thrive! at your church throughout the 3-year campaign and share them with the Synod in the same manner as Regular Mission Support, although accounted for separately, from Regular Mission Support. In late 2020 and then during 2021, take part in further training about building endowments, offering estate planning education, and converting special giving into regular giving.
And please – give your church members the opportunity to decide for themselves whether or not they wish to support Thrive! Following the above steps will do that and, we believe, help your congregation and the whole Synod to thrive!
This Lay Leader is Excited about our “Synod Investing in Congregations”
|I was asked to be the Congregational Leader for the Thrive! Campaign for the Lutheran Church of the Resurrection (Cincinnati). When I read the goals, I remarked how the campaign’s goals aligned with many activities my congregation has attempted over the last 12 years. I was a member of the Church Council for 7 years and president for 2 years. I watched as we attempted to support congregations around us; as we tried to support new council leadership; support youth and adult members as they consider the seminary.|
I wish I could have gone to training to be a better leader to my congregation while on council and president. My congregation is fortunate to have the University of Cincinnati Conservatory of Music nearby, and talented members to bring wonderful music to our worship services. As we have worked to enhance our worship music, I was gladdened to see the Synod wanting to bring more music and enhance worship experience to other congregations, which may not have an abundance of musical talent in their community.
I am excited the Synod is launching this campaign and really looking at how to invest in congregations. This campaign showed to me that, as a congregation, we are not alone in trying to work this out. We have done, and will continue, local actions in parallel with the Thrive! Campaign. I am happy to work with the Synod as our congregational leader, knowing that with the vision the Synod has set and is already executing, we can grow together, strengthen each other, and thrive.
Matt Wehrman, Thrive Congregational Leader
Lutheran Church of the Resurrection, Cincinnati