Thrive! E-Blast for 9.3.19 How Can Church Leaders Learn About Thrive?
How Can Church Leaders Learn About Thrive?
Watch the New Video!
Watching a new video designed for Church Councils and/or other leaders is a great first step in learning about the Thrive! Campaign and being able to make an informed decision about participating. If you have not already done so, please schedule a time in September, or no later than early October, to share the video with your leadership and see how lay leaders, rostered leaders and congregations will benefit from Thrive!
Here is how to access the video, along with other steps you can take to be “Stronger and Better Together: Joining Jesus in the Restoration of the World.”
WATCH THE VIDEO:
- Before viewing the video, download the Thrive! Acceptance and Leader Forms Packet from the Synod website and make copies for church leaders to refer to during the video.
- Share the Thrive! Council Presentation Video with your Congregation Council and/or other appropriate leaders by mid-October. Set up a TV or other means to watch the video, connect to the Internet, and then click here to access the video.
TRAIN YOUR LEADER(S):
- Appoint your Congregation Leader (or leaders) by October 31st – the person(s) who will take primary responsibility for your church’s campaign. Note: Meeting the October 31ST deadline is critical for doing Step 5!
- Return copies of the Congregation Acceptance Form and Congregation Leader Form to the Synod office or Thrive@SouthernOhioSynod.org.
- Schedule your Congregation Leader(s) to attend any one of the five training events scheduled around the Synod. Pastors are encouraged to attend, too! Please register by emailing names and contact info to: Thrive@SouthernOhioSynod.org.
November 2, 2019
10:00-11:30 Good Shepherd, 7701 Kenwood Road, Cincinnati
2:00-3:30 St. John, 122 West National Road, Vandalia
7:00-8:30 Synod Office, Columbus
November 17, 2019
2:00-3:30 St. John’s, 116 North 7th Street, Zanesville
5:00-6:30 First English, 220 North Columbus Street, Lancaster
The Leader(s) will receive complete training, a comprehensive Campaign Manual, and all the printed materials your church needs for your Thrive! Campaign.
Note: If your Leader(s) are unable to attend any of these sessions, contact Campaign Manager, Pastor Larry Donner (Thrive@SouthernOhioSynod.org), right away to make alternate arrangements.
- Set a 3-year Thrive! campaign non-binding financial goal for your congregation. Refer to Congregation Acceptance Form for more information.
COMPLETE YOUR CAMPAIGN:
- Conduct your congregation’s five-to-six week Thrive! campaign during a convenient time period in 2020.
- Receive donations for Thrive! at your church throughout the 3-year campaign and share them with the Synod in the same manner as Regular Mission Support. In late 2020 and then during 2021, take part in training on building endowments, how to estate planning education, and converting special giving into regular giving.
Please give your church members the opportunity to decide for themselves whether or not they wish to support Thrive! Following the above steps will do that and, we believe, help your congregation and the whole Synod to thrive!
Gatherings with Bishop Set for Rostered Ministers and Their Spouses
The Thrive! Campaign is about equipping the people of God in Southern Ohio to thrive in ways we have not previously been able to afford or attempt. Rostered Ministers and their spouses are invited to learn more during Gatherings with Bishop Dillahunt and Pastor Larry Donner, the Thrive! Campaign Manager. The Bishop will also share insights on actions taken at the Churchwide Assembly.
Those who attended the August Gatherings found them informative and helpful. If you were not able to be at one of them, then please accept the invitation to join us at one of the Gatherings below that fits your schedule. Please RSVP to the host site.
- Dayton Conference Gathering, September 9th, 7:00-9:00 p.m. at St. John, Vandalia, with dessert. RSVP to 937.898.5656 no later than 10:00 a.m. September 9th.
- Central Ohio Conference Gathering, September 16, 7-8:30 pm at All Saints, Worthington, including wine, beer and cheeses. RSVP to: 614-885-0112 or ASLC@saintsonhigh.org no later than noon Monday, September 16th, and include “Central Ohio Conference” in the memo line.
- Scioto Conference Gathering to be held October 6th or 7th. Watch for more info!
“Early Adopter” Congregation Shares Exciting News
Are people excited about Thrive?
Lutheran Church of the Resurrection, Cincinnati, is one of several “early adopter” congregations holding its Thrive! Campaigns this year – rather than waiting until 2020. The congregation’s leaders set a non-binding goal of $25,000 for Thrive! –– a pretty gutsy thing to do since the church had planned a debt-reduction campaign starting in spring of 2020!
Pastor Henry Zorn reports that he talked about his commitment to Thrive! during his sermon on the first Sunday of their campaign. The next day, he went out to the secretary's desk and there was an envelope with his name on it. Inside was a note that said, "A small gift to help Thrive! get started. I believe in its mission ..." The envelope contained a check for $1,000!
Later that day, a member came to him and said, "You know I'm not a Big Church person but as I listened to your sermon yesterday I realized that there could be a day when we wouldn't have a pastor if we don't support the Big Church and make it easier for people who want to become pastors. So, here is my gift." Another $1,000 check!
So, what do you think? Are people excited?