Cleveland District 7
About the Cleveland Academy
Created during the 1920's as a professional association for area osteopathic physicians, the Cleveland Academy of Osteopathic Medicine (CAOM) continues to follow its original mission to promote and elevate medical education, postgraduate training and research and to encourage mutual understanding and cooperation between Academy members and public health agencies for the improvement of public health.
Located in Beachwood, the CAOM is one of 11 district Academies in Ohio that comprises the Ohio Osteopathic Association (OOA). Each district provides professional support to DOs locally and promotes osteopathic visibility and outreach in the community.
Currently, the CAOM membership is comprised of 200 physician members, 184 interns and residents and 58 osteopathic medical students. The Academy continues to strive to assure necessary, appropriate, high quality and accessible medical care.
The new guidelines address short-term acute pain from injuries, or surgical and dental procedures that is expected to resolve within 12 weeks. Cynthia S. Kelley, DO, of Akron; Cleanne Cass, DO, of Dayton; and Mark N. Malinowski, DO, of Chillicothe, helped to write the guidelines, which specifically mention osteopathic neuromusculoskeletal medicine as an alternative to opioids.