NJSOP's Present and Past!
Congratulations 2023 Award Winners!
Congratulations to the 2023 award winners!
We will celebrate them all on December 13th at the Managed Care Seminar.
E.C. Nurock Award - Dr. Daniel Desrivieres
Optometrist of the Year Award - Dr. Kathleen Kinzley
Public Service Award - Assemblyman Daniel Benson
Young Optometrist of the Year Award - Dr. Jessica Garden
Dr. Paul Berman Distinguished Service Award - Dr. Kelley Sedlock
Paraoptometric of the Year Award - Ms. Agueda Gomez
Scientific Achievement Award - Dr. Maria Richman
Presidential Chairperson of the Year Award - Legislative Committee Chair, Dr. Mike Veliky
Presidential Special Recognition Award for Advocacy Accomplishments - Dr. Chris Quinn
Presidential Special Recognition Award for Student Leaders - Diellnor Abduramani (SUNY)
and Viral Shah (SALUS)
The NJSOP has a history dating back to 1903. See just how far we've come, here.
1903 - Dr. F.C. Leaming (Trenton)
1904 - Dr. George Applegate (Trenton)
1905 – Dr. F.H. Hewlett (Patterson)
1906 – Dr. L.B. Hilborn (Newark)
1907 – Dr. R.G. Smith (Jersey City)
1908 - Dr. J. J. Hartman (Newark)
1909 – 11 – Dr. L.A. Rochat (Jersey City)
1912 - Dr. C. J. Brotherly (Newark)
1913 – Dr. F.C. Leaming (Trenton)
1914 – 15 – Dr. H. Berman (Jersey City)
1916 – 17 – Dr. P.A. Bourke (Paterson)
1918 – Dr. W.B. Reilly (Asbury Park)
1920 – Dr. George Fitzsimmons (Passaic)
1921 – Dr. James Bergen (Paterson)
1922 – Dr. J.E. Jaekle (Jersey City)
1923 – Dr. C. J. Brotherly (Newark)
1924 – 25 – Dr. Joseph Salov (Newark)
1926 – Dr. J. Otis Wheeler (Salem)
1927 – Dr. Anson Ball (Dover)
1928 – 29 – Dr. John Knoblock (West New York)
1930 – 31 – Dr. Charles W. Casper (Newark)
1932 – Dr. Joseph F. Heine (Asbury Park)
1933 – Dr. Jarles Jacknowitz (Union City)
1934 – 35 – Dr. Earl H. Ridgeway (Trenton)
1936 – 37 – Dr. Albert Gaal (Irvington)
1938 – 39 – Dr. Benjamin M. Wilson (Trenton)
1940 – 41 – Dr. Walter Oelschlager (Newark)
1942 – Dr. Harold Simmerman (Pitman)
1943 – 45 – Dr. Harry Ehrlich (New Brunswick)
1946 – Dr. Emanuel C. Nurock (Trenton)
1947 – Dr. John J. Brown (Perth Amboy)
1948 - ???
1949 – 50 – Dr. Harold Bookstaber (????)
1951 – Dr. S. Benjamin Sobel (Clifton)
1952 – 53 – Dr. Philip Jackman (Hackensack
1954 – 55 – Dr. George McEaney (Asbury Park)
1956 – 58 – Dr. Paul Ellin (Paterson)
1959 – 60 – Dr. Theodore Altschuler (????)
1961 – 62 – Dr. Herbert L. Moss (Woodbridge)
1963 – 64 – Dr. Rovert H. Maclead (Morris Plains)
1964 – 66 – Dr. Leslie C. Mintz (Passaic)
1967 – Dr. Sidney M. Goldstein (Bridgeton)
1968 – 69 – Dr. Mario P. Constantin (Trenton)
1970 – 71 – Dr. Mario J. Pallotta (Glen Rock)
1972 – 73 – Dr. Harvey A. Wilson (Trenton)
1974 – 75 – Dr. Charles S. Papier (Pennington)
1976 – Dr. Arnold Klein (Clifton)
1977 – Dr. Samuel Krantzow (Passaic)
1978 – Dr. Roy Soloff (Atlantic City)
1979 – 80 – Dr. Kenneth Brehne (Old Bridge)
1981 – 82 – Dr. Barry Schneider (Manalapan)
1983 – Dr. Stanley Roever (Clifton)
1984 – 85 – Dr. Burnett Eglow – Hasbrouck Heights
1986 – 87 – Dr. Jay DeMesquita (Pennsauken)
1988 – 89 - Dr. Larry Fuerman (Atlantic City)
1989 – 90 – Dr. Stanley Ravine (Wall Township)
1991 – 92 – Dr. Markus Barth (Lawrenceville)
1993 – 94 – Dr. Harvey Wolbransky (Camden)
1995 – 96 – Dr. Leonard Steiner (Oakhurst)
1997 – 98 – Dr. Randolph Brooks ( Ledgewood)
1999 – 2000 – Dr. Thomas F. Dorrity, Jr. (Belleville)
2001 – 02 – Dr. Christopher Quinn (Iselin)
2002 - 03 - Dr. Richard J. Favreau (Franklin)
2003 – 04 - Dr. Daniel Desrivieres (Orange)
2004 – 05 - Dr. Kimberly K. Friedman (Moorestown)
2005 – 06 - Dr. Leonard J. Press (Fairlawn)
2006 – 07 - Dr. Michael J. Veliky (Rochelle Park)
2008 – 09 - Dr. Harvey B. Richman (Manasquan)
2009 – 10 - Dr. Michael J. Siegel (Ledgewood)
2010 – 11- Dr. Charles H. Fitzpatrick (Cherry Hill)
2011 – 12 -Dr. William R. Marcolini (Iselin)
2012 - 13- Dr. Rodolfo L. Rodriguez (North Bergen)
2013 – 14- Dr. Maria S. Richman (Manasquan)
2014 – 15- Dr. Edward W. Harmer (Carteret)
2015 – 16- Dr. George W. Veliky (Iselin)
2016 – 17- Dr. William J. Ference (Pompton Plains)
2017- 18- Dr. Kenneth Daniels (Hopewell)
2018 - 19- Dr. Susan D'Emic (Red Bank)
2019 - 20- Dr. Ray Corbin-Simon (Piscataway)
2020 - 21- Dr. Trinae Rosato (Alpha)
2021 - 22- Dr. Todd Gershenow ( Middletown)
As Revised 12/14/2022 -- Member login required.
- Do Not--in fact or appearance--discuss or exchange information with actual or potential competitors regarding any of the following matters, either at NJSOP or Local Society sponsored meetings or social gatherings:
- Individual company prices, price changes, price differentials, mark-ups, discounts, warranties, allowances, credit terms, costs, production levels, capacity, sales, etc.
- Plans of individual companies concerning the design, production, distribution or marketing of particular products, including proposed territories or customers.
- Division or limitation of sales to particular territories, customers or classes of customers.
- Refusal to sell to or purchase from, or termination or modification of sales or purchase arrangements with representatives, distributors, or other third parties, or prices or terms of sale or resale by customers.
- Industry pricing policies, price levels, price changes, differentials and/or changes in industry production, capacity or inventories.
- Matters relating to actual or potential individual suppliers or customers that might exclude them from any market or of influencing the business conduct of firms toward such suppliers or customers.
- Limiting or eliminating competition in any way, or efforts to create a monopoly.
- Do not discuss or exchange information regarding the above matters during social gatherings incidental to NJSOP or Local Society sponsored meetings, even in jest.
- Do not meet without Local Society leaders or counsel present.
- Before meetings, prepare and have counsel review agendas of particular items to be discussed at meetings and adhere to the agenda unless additional matters for discussion have been approved in advance by NJSOP or Local Society leaders or counsel.
- Ensure that draft meeting minutes are promptly prepared after each meeting, reviewed by counsel, and then circulated to members present at the meeting to determine that the minutes accurately reflect the proceedings.
- Protest any discussions or meeting activities which appear to violate the antitrust laws or the NJSOP Antitrust Compliance Policy and Guidelines; disassociate yourself from any such discussions or activities and leave any meeting in which they continue. Be sure that NJSOP staff and counsel are made aware of any such activities.
- Provide Local Society leaders and staff with a copy of this checklist and have a copy available for reference at all Local Society sponsored meetings.
NJSOP CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
Each year, the NJSOP president appoints a Nominations Committee pursuant to the NJSOP bylaws, which has historically doubled as the NJSOP Award Committee. The NJSOP Bylaws indicate that The Committee on Nominations shall be appointed by the President three months prior to the Congress or General Membership Meeting and shall consist of at least one (1) member in good standing from each affiliated local society and three (3) Past Presidents, one of whom will be appointed chairperson.
The 2024 Call for names is open through October 18, 2024. After October 18th, the Nominations Committee will meet to discuss and grant awards with nominations solicited from the full NJSOP membership - Dr. E.C. Nurock, Optometric Physician of the Year, Dr. Paul Berman Distinguished Service, Young OD of the Year, Paraoptometric of the Year Award, and the Public Service Award. NJSOP will present an open slot for an award topic and recipient suggestion for consideration. The award suggestion should be focused on eye/vision care and/or optometrists. The Nominations Committee may consider the new suggestions for the year’s awards.
SUBMIT A NAME TODAY! (submissions by NJSOP members only)
When submitting a name, please consider diversity of work setting, geographic location, practice modality, career stage, and background. Submissions should include the award nominee’s name and a written submission rationale statement for the nomination (up to 500 words). Award winners will be selected and presented at the end of 2024.
NJSOP AWARD RECIPIENTS
1968 - Present
Due to the pandemic the NJSOP Board of Directors decided to renew the 2020- 2022 NJSOP Strategic Plan for another three years: March 2022 through March 2025.
The NJSOP advocates, communicates, and educates to advance the optometric profession.
To protect and improve health through vision care.