Pulpit Supply Request
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
Grace to you in these challenging days. These weeks away from our sister and brother worshippers have been difficult. We all yearn for the days of gathering together as God’s people. As congregations begin resuming corporate worship, it is important to talk about pulpit supply.
COVID-19 presents a real and significant threat to the health and well-being of all God’s people. While people following the orders of the Governor and the Director of the Ohio Department of Health have flattened the curve, gathering together still poses substantial health risks. This reality is necessitating changes in the supply process.
Several weeks ago, I asked everyone on the pulpit supply list to complete a survey having to do with supply preaching. Their responses have been helpful in determining how we go about providing this leadership. After discussion with Bishop Dillahunt and consultation with Sister Sally, I am presenting our new pulpit supply process to you.
In-Person Pulpit Supply
The following list is a resource to support your congregation during times when you need a supply preacher. This is a list of those who are available and authorized to provide pulpit supply in the Southern Ohio Synod. It includes, pastors, deacons, clergy from other traditions, lay worship leaders, seminarians, seminary graduates, and other candidates for rostered ministry. This list will be updated regularly so please check back before each use.
Obtaining a Preacher for In-Person Pulpit Supply
1. Consider the person’s Home City and Miles Willing to Travel, which is provided in the listing. If your location is beyond the distance that a supply person is willing to travel, please do not reach out to them.
2. Contact the potential preacher from the following In-Person Pulpit Supply List via email. Include date(s), time(s), and location. Include a copy of your congregation’s COVID-19 gathering for worship plan. A phone conversation is a good next step if the potential supply person agrees. Feel free to ask about the potential preacher’s COVID safety practices to see if they match your expectations for entering your community. If they do, work out the details.
3. Typically, the preacher will need the following information:
a. worship time;
b. which hymnal and service (e.g., ELW, Setting 4);
c. whether or not communion is planned;
d. a copy of the bulletin in advance (if there is a bulletin);
e. any additional driving directions for locations that might be challenging for GPS;
f. your contact information;
g. any additional information that you or they deem helpful.
4. You will need the following information:
a. the correct spelling of the supply preacher’s name;
b. the preacher’s address so that a check can be available when they arrive at the church;
c. phone number (especially for notification in the event worship is canceled);
d. any addition information that you deem helpful.
2021 IN-PERSON Pulpit Supply Rates:
- Sundays – 1 service in the morning: $175, 2 services: $200; 3 services $225, plus mileage.
- Same weekend evening services: $90.00 plus mileage.
- Wednesday services are considered a separate service and should be compensated at the Sunday rate.
- Round-trip mileage should be paid at the IRS standard mileage rate for employee reimbursements (see www.irs.gov for the current rate).
- Additional prearranged activities such as educational events: $50
- As a courtesy to in-person supply preachers, it is appreciated to have a check ready to give them on the day they provide leadership.
Remote Pulpit Supply
The following list is a resource to support your congregation during times when you need a supply preacher who is able to utilize technology. This is a list of those who are available and authorized to provide pulpit supply in the Southern Ohio Synod. It includes, pastors, deacons, clergy from other traditions, lay worship leaders, seminarians, seminary graduates, and other candidates for rostered ministry. This list will be updated regularly so please check back before each use.
Obtaining a Preacher for Remote Pulpit Supply
1. Congregations are so diverse in their use of technology for worship, it will be up to each congregation to work out the details with the preacher.
2. Contact via email the potential preacher from the Remote Technology Pulpit Supply List. Include date(s) and a basic description of what you are hoping they will be able to do. Follow up by phone if the person is interested and available.
2021 REMOTE Pulpit Supply Rates
- One Service: $175 (If the sermon is recorded and reused for multiple services, the honorarium is still $175)
- Each additional live leading of worship on the same morning: $25.00
- If leading worship live for an evening weekend service (in addition to Sunday): $90.00.
Additional activities such as education events: $50
Questions regarding Pulpit Supply should be directed to Dr. C. Lynn Nakamura at email@example.com.
See Pulpit Supply Rates under 'Compensation Guidelines.'