MAC Implicit Bias Training Live Webinars
Dates for 2023 Coming Soon!
As you know, as of June 1, 2022, all Michigan health care licensees are required to obtain implicit bias training as a condition of license renewal or of obtaining an initial license to practice in Michigan. Dates for 2023 are being booked now and we will share them ASAP.
How Much Training Is Required?
- If your license expires in 2023 or 2024, you are required to obtain two hours in implicit bias training prior to the renewal of your license to practice chiropractic.
- Attention Students: New Applicants for chiropractic licensure are required to have completed 2 hours of implicit bias training within the 5 years immediately preceding issuance of the license or registration.
- If you are going through the re-licensure process, two hours in implicit bias training is required.
Keep in Mind:
- The implicit bias requirement is in addition to the 30 hours (with all other State of Michigan requirements) needed for license renewal.
- This is not a “one-time” training requirement. The requirement is in effect now (see requirements above for licensees whose licenses are expiring in 2022, 2023, and 2024) and for all subsequent licensing periods.
More on the Implicit Bias Requirement
The MAC was one of several health care stakeholder organizations and individuals that participated in the work groups on the implicit bias training issue. Our aim was to keep the burden on providers as low as possible while still meeting the mandate set by Governor Whitmer. We advocated for a training system similar to the one-time human trafficking requirement, but the State ultimately did not go in that direction. Keep in mind that this affects every licensed or registered health care profession – except veterinarians – equally, as they are all required to obtain one hour of implicit bias training per year of their licensure cycle. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to MAC Executive Director Kristine Dowell at email@example.com.
For more information on the State of Michigan’s implicit bias training requirement, see FAQs for Implicit Bias Training from the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs’ Bureau of Professional Licensing. This document answers such questions as:
- What Is Implicit Bias Training?
- Who can provide training?
- Does watching a video meet the requirements of the training?
- How will this new rule be enforced?