Kasich voices optimism for continued Medicaid expansion
Source: Health Policy Institute of Ohio
Gov. John Kasich this week voiced optimism that Ohio’s year-old expansion of Medicaid under the ACA will continue without again having to resort to a budgetary panel to sidestep lawmakers to draw down the funds (Source: “Kasich says Medicaid expansion will continue,” Toledo Blade, April 10, 2015).
The governor’s $72 billion, two-year budget currently in the Ohio House anticipates continuing the coverage expansion largely to working adults even as some lawmakers don’t expect it to make the final plan that reaches his desk by June 30.
“I would not anticipate [using the Ohio] Controlling Board,” Mr. Kasich said during a news conference Thursday.
Senate President Keith Faber (R., Celina) told The (Toledo) Blade’s Editorial Board last week that he doesn’t expect the expansion to remain a part of the budget but rather be moved into a separate bill for debate. He said he’s willing to allow a floor vote on the expansion and believes there would be enough votes to pass it, but he doesn’t believe a majority of his caucus supports the expansion.