US Surgeon General asks health care practitioners to take the pledge on the opioid crisis
U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy, M.D., M.B.A. took historic action last week by sending a personal letter to more than 2.3 million health care practitioners and public health leaders asking them to pledge their commitment to turn the tide on the opioid crisis by taking the pledge to:
1. Educate themselves to treat pain safely and effectively.
2. Screen their patients for opioid use disorder and provide or connect them with evidence-based treatment.
3. Talk about and treat addiction as a chronic illness, not a moral failing.
Psychiatrists have a unique ability to make an impact. View APA resources on opioid use disorder on our website and at upcoming meetings.
- View free webinars on Providers' Clinical Support System for Medication Assisted Treatment (PCSSMAT)
- Attend a course at the upcoming IPS: The Mental Health Services Conference
- View and share information with patients and families