ODH second 2019 State 30 J-1 Visa Waiver Program Cycle - now open
The Ohio Department of Health (ODH) participates in the State 30 Program to increase access to health care services for Ohio’s underserved populations. J-1 visa waivers allow foreign medical graduates to remain in the United States after completing residency/fellowship training in exchange for a three-year commitment to provide health care services in underserved areas. Primary care and mental health HPSAs, certain Medically Underserved Areas/Populations (MUA/Ps), and certain public and children’s hospitals located in MUAs are considered as underserved areas in the Ohio State 30 Program. Of the 30 slots available each year, up to 10 "flex" slots may be used for placements outside of underserved areas, if an adequate level of service to residents of these areas is documented. Qualified international graduates granted waivers must provide direct patient care for 40 hours per week and provide health care to all patients regardless of their ability to pay.
The second application cycle for the 2019 program year is now open only for primary care and behavioral health placements . More information regarding this cycle is posted at: https://odh.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/odh/know-our-programs/primary-care-office/j-1-visa-waiver-program/j-1-visa-waiver%20program/.
Potential sponsors for the second application cycle for the 2019 program year should complete and submit the attached Notice of Intent to Apply Form as soon as possible. Applications must be postmarked by March 31, 2019. The application cycle may close prior to March 31, 2019 if all slots have been filled; please note that there are approximately seven slots available in this application cycle.
- Applications for non-primary care placements will not be accepted in the second application cycle for the 2019 program year. Please refer to Program Category 1 for the specialties and practice settings that are included in the second application cycle.
- Please thoroughly read application instructions and forms and be sure to use only the 2019 application forms. Check all documents for completeness, accuracy and consistency before submission. Do not submit additional materials unless requested.
- Applications from sponsors who submit more than one application will not be reviewed unless the same sponsor-identified representative is named on each application.
- Application reviews will include evaluation of the sponsor’s adherence to program requirements for current and past participants.
- Please note the application formatting requirements as described on the first page of the application packet.