Government Relations & Public Policy
NCDA established its first legislative agenda during the 2008 annual Global Conference in Washington, DC. Since then, NCDA has made public policy an important cornerstone of its work, as described in NCDA's Philosophy on Public Policy: Advocating for Career Development. NCDA is represented in Washington, DC by the Government Relations Committee. The Committee’s members represent NCDA’s diverse membership. Its goal is to identify and advocate legislation and policies which support the mission of NCDA and its members. The Government Relations Committee communicates and collaborates with NCDA committees and related professional organizations including the American Counseling Association, the Automation Federation and the State Directors of Career and Technical Education. Communicating with and collaborating with key federal departments, including the Departments of Education, Labor and Veterans Affairs is an important part of the Committee’s work. The Committee encourages NCDA members to become actively involved in communicating with their elected representatives, informing them of the services they provide, and of the support they need to provide those services.
Legislative Alerts, Updates & News
Alerts: Call to Action!
There is widespread agreement on the need to help students and career changers become aware of the wide range of career options and opportunities available to them. We need to communicate with our elected representatives and others that our members and associates are qualified and committed to help with this important process. We simply need their support to provide the policies and budget needed to achieve this important goal. Use the Advocacy resources on the NCDA website to identify contact information and directions for action, or you can use the Congressional phone system (202)224-3121 or the internet: www.senate.gov or www.house.gov. Be sure to share the results of your contact with us. Read complete details on this Call to Action.
- Advocacy Updates - September 2018 - Hill Report
- Advocacy Updates - August 2018 - Hill Report
- Advocacy Updates for May 2018 Hill Report
- Stakeholder and Legislative Activity for April 2018 - Hill Report
- Stakeholder and Legislative Activity for March 2018 - Hill Report
- Stakeholder and Legislative Activity for February 2018 - Hill Report
The National Summit, hosted by the Coalition for Career Development, was held September 12, 2018 in Washington D.C.
In addition to advocating for ESSA legislation, NCDA leaders are actively involved with Bill Symonds’ Pathways to Progress initiative on increasing career literacy in American education. Mark Danaher, Ray Davis and Niel Carey are working with Bill and representatives from several other business and education organizations to plan a major meeting February 2016 at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce headquarters to discuss plans for strengthening career literacy and career counseling in American schools. Organizations that will be involved include the National Governors Association, the Council of Chief State school Officers, ACTE, and the State Directors of CTE.
- LobbyIt staff continue to arrange and facilitate meetings with Members of Congress.These meetings often result from communications with the Members of Congress by NCDA members or GR committee members. They are very helpful, because they give us the opportunity to explain NCDA’s diverse membership and its mission and services, and to ask for the legislative and funding support needed to continue those services. These meetings are the result of grassroots advocacy at work!
- The Automation Foundation and NCDA are working together to convey the message to students, job seekers, returning Veterans, and those in career transition that pursuing a career in the automation profession can be rewarding, and is essential to the long-term viability of our nation's and the world's advanced manufacturing effort. Click here to read the current AF/NCDA Workforce Position Statement.