Grain Grading Schools
Offered three times annually in Summer
Are you looking to obtain your Commodity Tester Certificate? Or, do you already have your Commodity Tester Certificate and need to renew it? This Grain Grading School – approved by the Ohio Department of Agriculture – is structured to provide certification/recertification opportunities.
The Grain Grading Course will provide training in the procedures for grading corn, soybeans and wheat, as well as sampling and equipment. Immediately following the course, individuals seeking certification will take an open-book exam consisting of 50 questions. Those seeking recertification receive the same training and sign a verification of attendance form. Instruction is provided by Eurofins Grain Inspection. Once again, OABA will offer a Test-only option for individuals seeking recertification.
The Ohio Commodity Handler Law requires all individuals who perform a quality test for the purpose of applying a premium or discount on commodities to be certified. New commodity testers must pass (80 percent) a written exam. Those currently certified must either fulfill continuing education requirements, or pass the written exam once every three years to renew their Commodity Tester Certificate.
Participants are encouraged to bring "trouble" grain samples to class to evaluate during the session.
Recertification Test-Only Option
Need the test but don't want to drive to ODA? For your convenience, OABA is offering Test-Only options for individuals needing to renew their Commodity Tester Certificate, without sitting through the full Grain Grading School. The Test-Only options is available for $10 with a separate registration link. Test-Only individuals are advised to arrive no later than 12:15 pm for the 12:30 pm test.
- Registration: Click here to register for the 2021 Grain Grading Schools.
- June 8 - McComb High School, 328 Todd St., McComb, OH 45858
- July 20 - Fisher Auditorium, 1680 Madison Ave, Wooster, OH 44691
- July 22 - Grace Lutheran Church, 1801 Saint Paris Pike, Springfield, OH 45504
- Schedule: 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- 8:30: Grain Grading School check-in opens
- 9:00: Grain Grading School begins
- 12-12:15: Test-Only registrants arrive
- 12:30: ODA Commodity Tester Certification Exam starts
- Members: $55
- Non-members: $65
None at this time.